Christian Church, circa 1910 - Boone Grove, Indiana
Photo provided by Steven R Shook
Boone Grove, Indiana
Date: Circa 1910
Source Type: Photograph
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: Phillips (#72587)
Postmark: Not applicable
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: The Boone Grove Christian church was founded in the year 1852. Services were held first in the homes of the early settlers of the community. W. M. Dye and David Merriman were given credit by Lemuel Shortridge, one of the early pastors, for founding of the church.
Rev. Lewis Comer, better known as Father Comer, was the first organizer and pastor. He lived at Morgan Prairie and rode horseback to his regular appointments.
In a short time the congregation grew to such an extent that it came necessary to hold services in a barn to accommodate the large crowds who came to the services for miles around the community. Soon a log school house was erected and the people met in it for regular worship while preparations were made and the first church erected.
The first church building stood in the grove about forty rods east of the
Merriman cemetery and about two and a half miles northeast of Boone Grove on the
road to Valparaiso. This new house of worship served the needs of the
congregation for a time, until shortly prior to the year 1888, when a new
building was erected in a more central location in Boone Grove, where the
present building now stands. It was dedicated by L. L. Carpenter during the
ministry of W. A. Henager in February 1889. The old church which stood in the
grove vacant for a time, was later moved to Boone Grove and used for a ladies'
hall. It was afterward moved to the lot beside the new church, remodeled and
converted into a community hall. The church and community hall standing side by
side served the religious, social and community needs until the night of April
14, 1927, when both buildings were leveled by a fire.
-- History extracted from the August 18, 1936, issue of The Vidette-Messenger, Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana.